As the effects of COVID 19 and the social distancing continue to affect families and individuals in our city and community, new opportunities to be the church to people in great need have presented themselves. Please consider how you can be a part of helping the most vulnerable during this time.
H.O.P.E. (Help Our People Eat)
COVID-19 DINNER FOOD DISTRIBUTION - MINISTERS CONFERENCE/LOVE OUT LOUD
Partner with the Ministers Conference of Winston-Salem, Love Out Loud, and Second Harvest Food Bank to help distribute "Grab & Go" meals to our communities through nine local churches beginning Monday, Mar. 23.
Volunteers will help with setup and traffic flow for a drive-thru low touch environment. Volunteers must be 16-60, healthy, wear closed-toe shoes, and bring their own water. Due to concerns surrounding COVID-19, Love Out Loud is encouraging anyone who is feeling sick, is elderly, or may have a preexisting condition to not participate in this event. Review all volunteer opportunities and sites here:
VOLUNTEER TO DISTRIBUTE MEALS
- If your neighborhood has an app or Facebook group, reach out and offer to help shop or get supplies for folks who cannot get out.
- If you don't have an app, call or text your neighbors, or maybe put a sign in the yard with your contact info (Need help...call me here)
- Spend time outside in the yard, tons of my neighbors were outside this weekend because they're stuck at home, conversations across the yard are great opportunities to connect, encourage, pray for them.
- Have a prayer walk with your family through the neighborhood. Don't be creepy about it, but stop and pray at each home.
- Really old school idea here... but what about mailing cards of encouragement to your neighbors? Maybe share our website and encourage them to join us online for church this weekend?
These are just some ideas, you do what makes sense in your neighborhood! While this certainly is a challenging moment in our world, it's an amazing opportunity for the church to be that City set on a Hill and shine brightly with the hope of Jesus Christ. I am praying we do just that!